Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Home for Christmas

At Christmas time, I am always far more aware of the people who don’t have anywhere to go, or anyone to share Christmas with. As I walk to work every morning down the bright, bustling streets of Toronto, I always feel a little bit guilty as the same homeless gentleman wishes me a good day. And I keep on walking. Every morning this week, he has stood there with a smile on his face and told me to have a nice day. Every morning, he is filled with joy and life and warmth that I rarely see in people who are well-employed, with families, and fulfilling lives. And every morning, I walk right past him without much more than a smile and a nod.

It reminds of a moment last week when I was walking downtown to run some errands; specifically, I was picking my ticket to go home for Christmas. As I was walking, there was a young homeless man sitting on the sidewalk with a sign that said something about helping him to get home to Saskatoon to spend Christmas with his family. I couldn’t help but talk to him. I realized I didn’t have any money, but I did have a $5 gift card for a nearby coffee shop that had been given to me. I gave him the card and told him that it wouldn’t help him get home, but it would get him some lunch, at least. And as I walked away, I realized that I didn’t feel any better. In fact, I felt worse that I couldn’t help someone, anyone, more significantly. That all I could do was pass on a silly gift card that I hadn’t even paid for! It makes me wonder how much of our social and economic situation is self-made and how much of it is luck. This year, more than ever, I feel blessed that I have a ticket in my pocket to take me home for the holidays, I have a job that I love, and friends that have stuck by me. I feel so grateful and so fulfilled that I have been blessed with this life and that my stars have, thankfully, continued to align in my favour. I wish all of you the same good fortune, the same happiness, and that you will also extend some of this to others over the holidays. And on a side note, I don’t think I’ll keep on walking the next time that gentleman wishes me a good day. I think, perhaps, I’ll at least return the warm wishes.

3 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger Assem said...

i guess no matter how beautiful life is for one, we cant make it so for everybody. Luckily some of us are able to take time of their busy schedules and be thankful for what they have!

btw love your style of writting!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Assem said...

you have been tagged! Check memz.ca for details!

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger -p said...

Hi Tara!

A blog! Hooray! I only found out from Assem's blog. :) Glad to hear how things are going with you. Congrats on all your blessings.

Missing you!
Patty

 

Post a Comment

<< Home